Maiden World

Iron Maiden Forum

It is currently August 21st, 2014, 6:17 am

Post subject: Satanism in "metalmen"?
PostPosted: December 30th, 2003, 11:37 pm 

"Those guys listen Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. They are satanists!"
This is one of the sentences you could hear in the radio/TV/on the streets. What I want to know is if that is true. Are we really satanists because in the NOTB Maiden sings about death and hell? Are we satanists because couble of kids listened Judas Priest, smoked pot, drank booze and after that shot themselves? It couldn't be the drugs or the alcohol, it was the music.
Does the music we listen make us satanists?

I want to hear your stories about this, what do you think...? :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2003, 11:55 pm 

When I was 15 years old, my mother saw the front cover of POM and flipped out, called Maiden "satanistic" and took me to a preacher to have the demons exorcised from me.........LITERALLY!!!!! I'm not kidding, she did this! The preacher told her to go mingle with other people while he talked to me and found out that I wasn't satanistic and that I did not need an exorcism! Thank God!

I'm not a satanists because I listen to Maiden and Priest and niether is anyone else for listening to them. That's a choice a person would make without Maiden or Priest influence I think.

On the other hand I don't believe in God or Satan. I believe that there are some things beyond our control.......other people for example.....and some things that are not beyond our control. Its just the way life is. I'm a Wiccan and most wiccan's do believe in god and a goddess, I really choose not to because of some personaly reasons in my life. :-(

MP

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2003, 12:20 am 

MetalPrincess639 wrote:
When I was 15 years old, my mother saw the front cover of POM and flipped out, called Maiden "satanistic"

the piece of mind cover satanic :? are you sure it was the piece of mind cover she saw? well my mother doesnt care about the music i listen to infact she likes maiden infact she got me into maiden (i am 14)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2003, 12:27 am 

Oh yeah I'm positve what album cover it was :-) I'm not that old LOL. After she read the lyrics though she calmed down and was okay with Maiden.

MP

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2003, 3:50 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

i didn't find any trace of satanism in iron maiden's music. i never really read judas priest's song lyrics so i can't judge upon them. black sabbath has some satanism in their lyrics so it depends on the band really but overall metal isn't satanistic....and if it was there would be nothing wrong with it cause many ppl have prejudices about satanism

Humans are the tiger's only serious predator, who often kill tigers illegally for their fur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2003, 4:54 pm 

MaidenMadness wrote:
i didn't find any trace of satanism in iron maiden's music. i never really read judas priest's song lyrics so i can't judge upon them. black sabbath has some satanism in their lyrics so it depends on the band really but overall metal isn't satanistic....and if it was there would be nothing wrong with it cause many ppl have prejudices about satanism

I think there is no more satanism in Priests lyrics than in Maidens, but... When those kids blew there heads of, some people started to search if theres any satanic "hidden messages" in the songs, and (suprise, suprise) they found the sentence: "Take my life" backwards from the song Beyond the Realms of Death, and then came the famous trial about these "messages".. I don't remember how much money they wanted from Priest (6,2million or something..), but Priest won the case.
In a interview K.K Downing (Priest guitarist) said that he couldn't sleep when he heard that they(parents and stuff..) blamed Priest about this terrible suicide..

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2003, 7:29 pm 
I run things.
I run things.

There's a massive amount of disinformation spread about Maiden and satanism on the net. Heres a sample.

Quote:
IRON MAIDEN "Number of the Beast"

Some of the lyrics:
666, The number of the Beast
666, The one for you and me

Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden, said in Hit Parader:
"We can play with CONVICTION every night, because we TOTALLY BELIEVE in the music we're performing." (Hit Parader, Feb. 1985, p.6)

Can anyone say "misquoted" ?

Quote:
...Iron Maiden's, song "The Number of the Beast", in which they direct young people to take the Mark of the Beast: "666 the Number of the Beast/ 666 THE ONE FOR YOU AND ME!"

Again.. slightly odd.

St. Louis Globe Democrat, August 9-10 1986 wrote:
Burt lists heavy metal groups like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Blue Oyster Cult and Merciful Fate among the most influential. All have performed music with a Satanic-style message that critics contend is taken literally by many listeners.

To be quite honest, If people take such a stance against Iron Maiden for talking about satan and death, then are they also going to rewrite Shakespeare for its dark themes, or any of the other great arts?. Also I'm pretty sure some of the band were quoted as being against satanism, but I cant find those quotes at the moment

Additionally, these people's logic doesnt make sense, because in SSOAS Maiden cover the complete spectrum of the afterlife, and the satanistic themes are nowhere to be found. But then, as Maiden fans, I'm sure you didnt need reminded of that ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2003, 8:50 pm 

My friend thinks that what ever music I listen, it's definetly satanic. But he's a rockabilly jerkoff... :roll:

Even death may die"
-H. P. Lovecraft

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2003, 11:50 pm 

Grimmie wrote:
My friend thinks that what ever music I listen, it's definetly satanic. But he's a rockabilly jerkoff... :roll:

LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2004, 10:30 am 

I don't perceive Maiden as a satanistic band and if I would then I'd stop listening to them, but it is obviously very easy to mistake them for one.
A lot of people just see Eddie or hear a few lines from a song and are instantly convinced that Maiden is a satanic band and the idea that their quick judgement might be wrong just doesn't come to their minds.

What is even more odd though are those satanists who seem to perceive Maiden as a satanistical band or at least claim to do so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2004, 11:06 am 

Dare Devil wrote:
What is even more odd though are those satanists who seem to perceive Maiden as a satanistical band or at least claim to do so...

How is Maiden satanic? I don't get it. Maybe Number of the Beast or something, but it's quite far from satanism, cause satanism, as a philosophy doesn't compherend a concept for god, or satan. It's just natural tendencie that a human being has while born. You yourself are the center of your world and believe.

So, we probably can conclude that Maiden hasn't got any satanic elements, or that is what I think.

And for you all, you should not mix up two very different ideals, as satanism and satan worshipper. They actually have nothing in common.

Thank you, and try to understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2004, 9:57 pm 

I really hate these stereotypes. People are talking about the things they don´t know at all. I can only laugh when somebody comes to say that I´m a satanic when I listen Maiden, Priest, Ozzy or whatever. People listening black metal may sometimes be more like satanics, but now I´m talkin about those teenager rebels...listening Dimmu and that kind of stuff (another stereotype). But I guess that real metalmen can´t take these talks about Maiden+satanism seriously. For me it´s STILL just music, altought it´s playing all time growing part in my life.

I´m sorry about my bad english...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2004, 9:53 am 

I have listened Maiden since I was 11 years old and I have never thought Maiden as a satanic band, even though my friends often blamed me for that when I just started listening Maiden. Yes some songs have something to do with satanic subjects but to me they're just another great subjects to make great songs, that's all. And after all it's really stupid to go and judge people for the music they are listening.

Agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2004, 7:54 pm 

escudo wrote:
Yes some songs have something to do with satanic subjects but to me they're just another great subjects to make great songs, that's all.

Yes, and what the hell does satan got to do with satanism or satanists?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2004, 8:07 pm 
Superior Member
Superior Member

Location: Wiltshire, England ..................... .....Justice 4 The 96..... ..........Y.N.W.A............
:evil: